[PD] set screen resolution from within Pd (Linux)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:22:34 CET 2021

Hi Ingo

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 05:46 +0100, Ingo wrote:

> Is it possible to set the screen resolution from within Pd in Debian
> (with
> or without externals)?

Yes.

> If yes how?

With something like (untested example specific to my setup):

[xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode "1920x1080_60.00"(

[ggee/shell]

> My problem is that some older mainboards automatically default to
> "1280x1024".
> If I set the screen size in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to "1920x1080" it
> still shows
> everything with the lower "1280x1024" resolution.
> It actually doesn't respond to setting it to a lower resolution
> either . . .

That problem is orthogonal to the question of "How can I change screen
resolution with Pd?". Above answer assumes you're able to change screen
resolutions with normal tools. If they fail, the Pd solution will fail
too.

> Not sure if I would need different graphic drivers for that.
> I'm on Debian-9.5.0-i386.

I don't know, probably not. I experienced a few times, that only very
few modes were listed by default, but modes added manually would work,
too.

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr#Adding_undetected_resolutions

Roman