[PD] pd~ in Camomile and pd-Vanilla (was Is it possible to specify relative path inside pd~ object for -pddir argument ?

Jean-Yves Gratius jyg at gumo.fr
Wed Jan 13 21:35:00 CET 2021

> Re: [PD] Is it possible to specify relative path inside pd~ object for
> -pddir argument ?
> From:
> IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Date:
> 13/01/2021 à 15:22
>
> To:
> pd-list at lists.iem.at
>

> On 1/13/21 10:03 AM, Jean-Yves Gratius wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to specify a relative path
>
> use an absolute path?
> [pdcontrol[ to the rescue!
>
> fgmrda
> IOhannes

Ok for using [pdcontrol] to obtain absolute paths.

So I did some investigations (Ubuntu 18.04-5, Reaper, latest pd vanilla
and camomile v1.0.8-beta)

1)    absolute paths for pddir and scheddir work fine, both in pd
vanilla and in camomile, when hardcoded as arguments of pd~ box.

2)

[pd~ pddir  <absolute path for pd bin>, pd~ start subprocess.pd(

[pd~ -ninsig 2 -noutsig 2 -fifo 20]

works well in pd vanilla,  although you cannot send  a [pd ~scheddir
xxxxx(  message.  (but if you put pdsched with pd binaries, it's ok)

In my tests, (2) doesn't work in camomile.

3) Now a workaround  will be to dynamically create the pd~ box with all
hardcoded arguments cooked from [pdcontrol]

Jean-Yves Gratius