[PD] split number into digits

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jan 17 21:47:02 CET 2021

On 1/17/21 9:35 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> But at what point does this become a real issue? And how come we don't have
> a better way to convert it to symbols?

the problem is not with the "way to convert it to symbols", but with
symbols itself.

it's the nature of symbols to not get lost. so the more symbols you
create, the more they will clog your memory.
with modern memory sizes this is usually not a problem.
however, the way Pd stores and retrieves symbols is suboptimal, and
degrades heavily with high numbers of symbols.

there's a PR (#1172) that attempts to alleviate the problem, but it
hasn't been accepted into mainline Pd yet.

gfamdsr
IOhannes