[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 18 00:07:45 CET 2021

On 1/17/21 10:03 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> I wanted to know if all systems had at least sharp/flat unicode glyphs out
> of the box as macs do.

as macs *currently* do.
in general i wouldn't extrapolate too much from your current system to
future or past system (though in the specific case, i guess it's
probably safe to assume that 𝄪 and 𝄫 won't go away.

apart from that: the only guaranteed font to be available on Windows and
Linux is "DejaVu Sans Mono" (and if the font-renderer weren't broken on
macOS, you could count on that font too).
open the ttf-file with a font manager program and inspect it to see,
which glyphs it natively supports.

and it looks like it has (single) sharp and flat signs, but not double ones.

> Other symbols would be great too but I see we can't
> guarantee. So, now that support is granted, I did ask if there was an easy
> and free font for musical unicode symbols that we can all install. A
> perfect and ideal scenario would be for Pd to carry one and ship it, but
> that might be aiming too high on my dreams:)

that doesn't actually sound perfect and ideal to me.
fonts are generally large, and i would consider 𝄪 and 𝄫 to be edge cases.
i don't think i ever needed them; your use-case might of course be
different, but i don't think we should target at satisfying each and
every usecase out of the box.

IOhannes