[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

Scott R. Looney scottrlooney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 02:07:29 CET 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 4:58 PM Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Em dom., 17 de jan. de 2021 às 20:09, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> escreveu:
>
>> the only guaranteed font to be available on Windows and  Linux is "DejaVu
>> Sans Mono" (and if the font-renderer weren't broken on  macOS, you could
>> count on that font too). open the ttf-file with a font manager program and
>> inspect it to see which glyphs it natively supports.
>
> and it looks like it has (single) sharp and flat signs, but not double
>> ones.
>>

> hmm, I'm looking at FontBook on DejaVu and I don't see sharp & flat signs.
>

>> that doesn't actually sound perfect and ideal to me.
>> fonts are generally large, and i would consider 𝄪 and 𝄫 to be edge
>> cases.
>

> yes, they are.
>

>> i don't think i ever needed them; your use-case might of course be
>> different
>

> I was thinking of a database of scales, for didactical purposes, so G#
> minor (parallel key of B Major) with an altered major 7th has F𝄪, for
> instance.
>

>> but i don't think we should target at satisfying each and  every usecase
>> out of the box.
>>

> I was just thinking of all great possibilities we could have with a nice
> set of musical symbol fonts, like displaying chords and being able to
> design some simple notation things for chords and scales. More than double
> sharp/flats, microtonal stuff like quarter tone would be also awesome. They
> have that in open music.

just to chime in here, is there any reason not to use a dedicated musically
oriented font like Opus? it seems weird to try to use one font for every
sort of purpose and i'm sure there's a few free fonts that could be used
that are similar, even ones under GPL. i suspect that Open Music uses one
of these.

best,
scott