[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon Jan 18 11:14:44 CET 2021

Copy/Paste and UTF-8 work both fine on my Windows computer.
With the relatively current Pd 0.51.1 and the older 0.47.
Thanks, IOhannes!

So it's not the [canvas] that is causing the problem with unicode characters
(except for the ascii 35 issue).

The code for the alternative # (8983) in UTF-8 turned out to be "226 140 151"
instead of "232 166 131".
But this doesn't change the real problem.

On my Debian 9.5 with Pd 0.49 I cannot display anything higher than ascii
values.
All higher characters are displayed with empty squares or nothing at all.

Copying the patch with the [#( as unicode "8983" results in an empty square
even in the message box.
So the problem seems rather be an issue of the OS not being able to display
higher unicode characters at all.
I'll have to figure out how to do this . . .

On my Windows computer I have a addon for displaying unicode.
This doesn't seem to be present in my very basic Debian installation that uses
fluxbox as a windows manager.

So, there is a bug in [canvas] not displaying ascii 35 correctly and UTF-8
(alternative characters) is not working for me right now.
My last solution would be to edit the "Helvetica" or "DejaVu" font for
displaying a "#" with a lower number.
However, last time I was looking for the location of Helvetica I couldn find
it and didn't get any answer here.
If anyone knows the location of the font when being used by Pd please let me
know.

This means I probably have to wait another few years until someone will fix
the [canvas] issue for displaying a sharp "#".

Thanks anyway! I give up for now.

Ingo