[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 18 21:43:57 CET 2021

Am 18. Jänner 2021 20:24:27 MEZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>:
> Em dom., 17 de jan. de 2021 às 23:12, Alexandre Torres Porres <
> porres at gmail.com> escreveu:
>

> Ok, I know it's coming from somewhere else, and that's not the point.
> Maybe a better question is to just make sure that this indeed happens
> (that
> the Pd will look elsewhere in your fonts to see if you have a bass
> clef or
> whatever else is missing in DejaVu). I

Pd doesn't do anything like that.
in fact, most applications don't do anything like that.
fonts are a *hard* problem, that's why these problems are typically solved centrally (on  the toolkit level (eg Tcl/Tk) or even lower).

there are of course exceptions to this: eg Gem handles the fonts on its own (using a library; I'm not crazy enough attempting to handle fonts myself).

as a rule of thumb: if you don't specify the font-file directly (eg `/path/to/DejaVuSans-Mono.ttl`) but rather the font name (eg "DejaVu Sans Mono"), then you are working with a high level interface that will use multiple fonts to render a glyph.

price question: when selecting a font for Pd (using the `-font-face` cmdline option), do you specify the font by filename, or by the font-name?

mfg.hft.fsl
IOhannes