[PD] Preset management for Pd Vanilla

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder+pd at univie.ac.at
Thu Jan 21 09:35:58 CET 2021

Re this half of your email:

> So I'm here to ask what people use in Pd Vanilla, be
> it a pure vanilla solution or an external.

Reporting from a noob-user perspective, I have used acre's ds (data
storage) since it is included in VRR (Virtual Rehearsal Room) for preset
management:

https://git.iem.at/pd/acre/-/tree/master/ds
https://git.iem.at/vrr/vrr

AFAICT, it does what it says on the tin. It saves presets as plain text
files (which I appreciate for versioning), and allows for complex
scenes/programs to be stored, with namespaces and remote control and
everything.

I didn't try to include acre/ds in my own patches yet.

One detail:

> Once you save the patch, the presets you saved get stored in
> the patch.

I think acre/ds handles that differently: You'd do an explicit save into
a separate file that you choose.

> You can check what's up in my repository for more details...
> https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/Classes/Abstractions/preset.pd

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!
  Albert.