[PD] Preset management for Pd Vanilla

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:14:59 CET 2021

Em qui., 21 de jan. de 2021 às 05:36, Albert Rafetseder <
albert.rafetseder+pd at univie.ac.at> escreveu:

> It saves presets as plain text files (which I appreciate for versioning),
> and allows for complex
> scenes/programs to be stored

What do you mean by "complex scenes/programs"?

> with namespaces and remote control and everything.

what's that? :) I downloaded and checked and didn't really get this.

acre/ds handles that differently: You'd do an explicit save into a separate
> file that you choose.

yes, I'm using [savestate] that allows you to save with the patch, no file
saving needed, but my vanilla abstraction can be expanded to read/write
files as well. I didn't expand on it cause I started working on this
variant for my library (else/preset), which doesn red/write files as well
(as the help file shows).

In general, the acre/ds system has a very similar structure than my vanilla
abstraction. That is you need sends and receives and separate objects for
separate parameters. I just think my take on it is simpler and I'm not sure
if I'm missing some more advanced functionality from acre/ds.

Em qui., 21 de jan. de 2021 às 08:28, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> acre/ds and kollabs are derived from the same original project.
> kollabs is much more elaborated, e.g. it includes support for scene
> transitions (and afaict, the state-saving part is vanilla only).
> acre/ds is much more minimalistic (which is a virtue as well)

Oh, I remember when this one came out and I checked it out. I just said
"wow, this is too complicated", got pretty scared and ran away. Of course
this is just a personal opinion and a matter of taste, but I do in fact
believe a minimalistic approach is quite virtuous. I'm all for the "KISS"
(keep it simple, stupid) principal. People shouldn't spend more than 2
minutes reading a help file :)

I'm proud and happy that my system for ELSE is quite simple. Only one
object (you can have more if you want, of course, in the case you want 2
subgroups or something) plus the [receive] objects that you'd normally have
anyway to send parameter values.

On the other hand, I don't wanna miss interesting features, so there's an
art of trying to make things simple, functional and powerful.

Anyway, by reading through, I don't get how kollabs can be used with simple
things like sending and retrieving values from a number box. I just missed
this in the extensive documentation. But if they share a common ground, it
seems there's no different/special principal that I'm missing.

And well, I see this one is also kind of like a sequencer, with
"transitions" and all. That makes you think "hmmm, that's nice". But I just
think one can use something like a "line" or something and a separate
preset group/object to control the transitions.

cheers