[PD] Hoa Library? (was: CICM-TOOLS 1.5)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 17:55:17 CET 2021

Em ter., 9 de fev. de 2021 às 12:18, Pierre Guillot <
guillotpierre6 at gmail.com> escreveu:

> > not sure what you mean, are you saying we should forget about your
> abandoned work and just stick to the version from ceammc? Or are you saying
> I could ask them for help on what needs to be done so it compiles?
>
> Not necessarily "forget" as the Hoa library is part of the CEAMMC library.
> If you just want to "resurrect" the Hoa library exactly as it was 4 years
> ago, I'm afraid that you will spend a lot of time for not many benefit
> because most of the Hoa objects and patches are already available via the
> CEAMMC library. So, it would be simpler to help the CEAMMC devs to finish
> the integration of the Hoa library into the CEAMMC library. But, of course,
> it depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it

That's all very nice to know. I only have two speakers and I know next to
nothing about ambisonics. I'm not a real user of this or any other
ambisonics library and I have no idea about the state and issues of HOA. I
also have no idea what's been modified and what's going on inside CEAMMC.
But anyway, lots of information has been spread here and that's great!

I had the idea one could just get 'hoa' from deken without having to get
all of ceammc or use their fork. Not that I have anything against
ceammc integrating it (and, for what I know now, actually "saving" and
"resurrecting" hoa), it's just that sometimes people want one specific
thing (in this case a dedicated ambisonics library) and would rather not
carry more than they needed. And ceammc as a library carries lots of stuff
on their own and also encompasses/includes other third party libraries
(such as hoa, cream, chaos and more stuff).

In a more critical sense, there's no 'ceammc' for any linux distribution in
deken...

So if there weren't so many issues that are now clear, I could see the
point and advantage of "resurrecting" hoa and bringing it to deken for all
platforms (including raspberry pis).

- to be honest if I had the time there is a high probability that I
> recreate a new spatialization library from scratch just to have fun to
> explore new approaches,  so I'm really not the right person to tell what to
> do and how to do it ;).

that'd be nice, the more the merrier :) Pd could use more ambisonics
objects. This is why I felt it was necessary to upload CICM-Tools to deken!

cheers