[PD] list item picker widget

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:15:26 CET 2021

On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 16:51 +0000, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> It's possible to build one with data structures. There may be one
> from me or others on the pd forum. But it's really a pain to build.

I'm not even so worried about the pain of building, but about how you
can make something that feels good and intuitive to use given the
limited HID data you get from Pd. I mean there is no way to detect
hovering or a mouse key release. I made menu widgets that required the
user to keep the mouse key pressed while dragging, thus scrolling
through the list of available items to pick. Number boxes and sliders
work also with dragging. Nowadays, I'm starting to believe that
dragging with mouse key pressed is not an ergonomic action and I'm
going to avoid it whenever possible. Both, [jp.menu] and
[dropDownMenu], do the selection with two clicks. I think that is the
better approach.

> In Purr Data I just made a core object "dropdown" built on the same
> simple display that an atom box has.

Thanks for the pointer. I certainly will try it out when exploring Purr
Data the next time.

Roman