[PD] list item picker widget

João Pais jmmmpais at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 11:21:26 CET 2021

>>> you mean to show the dropdown under the selected item, probably
>>> repeating it? Is there a "common" software where I could see the
>>> behaviour?
> Is there a common software  where I don't see that behaviour?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop-down_list
>
> I don't think it is such a big deal that we need to find the "truth"
> here, but I thought listing selectable items _below_ the selected item
> is much more common. Cannot prove that, though.

I'll add it to the list, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get
to it.

>>> I was going to open an issue about not using any [declare]s, but I
>>> couldn't find a public repo for jmmmp. Is there one?
>> I don't think so, there is so few feedback that I assumed basically I
>> do
>> these only for me.
> How can you know if people cannot post issues?

My contact is in all patches and help files, it's not that hard.

>>   I can try to make one.
> You don't have to, just because of me. Since jmmmp is available through
> Deken, people might want to report issues. Ask yourself if you want
> that or not. I think whatever you decide is fine.

It's not a bad idea and it isn't hard, so I can try to add it - the next
version should soon be out, I'm almost finished adapting Landini to Pd.

>> Which declare issue? I imagine I only used other jmmmp objects, but
>> thought that they would all open automatically.
> No, they don't. Also, the README mentions that other libraries are
> involved. However, the objects in the jmmmp library do not declare what
> they actually use.
>
> For [jp.menu] to load properly, I had to [declare -path ggee -path
> list-abs]. I think that could be done within [jp.menu] itself.

Strange, that should be necessary in my computer as well. I'll have to
check it.

>> The most complex
>> abstractions use the simpler ones such as [f+], so it would be
>> better
>> not to split the objects (or to be careful with them).
> I hear you. I didn't just copy something from jmmmp expecting it work
> out of its context. However, it is my understanding that a library
> should declare its own dependencies and not expect a user of this
> library to do it.

I do that always, or it wouldn't work on my own system. But something
went amiss here.