[PD] list item picker widget - [declare] lib paths

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:53:44 CET 2021

In some recent and proposed updates to declare and the loader, the movement is toward being able to load both compiled and abstraction libraries without having to use both -lib & -path, but we are not there yet:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/440 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/440>

In many ways, -stdpath and -stdlib is legacy but of course will most likely not be removed or explicitly deprecated unless there is a real need. It is however highly encouraged *not* to use them, ie. no longer having users manage stuff inside the macOS Pd .app bundle. In your case with netpd and bundled resources, then I imagine they are still quite useful. :)

> On Feb 16, 2021, at 2:37 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 14:37:19 +0100
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] list item picker widget - [declare] lib paths
>
> Thanks for the full picture, Dan.
>
> I guess the main point is that when Pd users go along the defaults,
> they need patches to use -path and -lib.
>
> Even more, -lib and -path _also_ work for stuff installed in any of the
> standard search paths like <pd-dir>/extra. Assuming that people use a
> recent version of Pd, there can be no harm in using -lib and -path.
> They cover more use cases. Thus, I'd say using -lib and -path should be
> considered the canonical way of loading libraries.
>
> Roman

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>