[PD] restrict "find externals" to exact matches

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:06:20 CET 2021

On Fri, 2021-02-26 at 13:58 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-02-26 at 11:12 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> > how would you see such a change?
>
> I very much welcome it.
>
> > would the disruption be acceptable?
>
> The reason which triggered me to bring up the "detect dependencies
> from
> patch" thread was the fact that I got reports from users who were
> confused by the search results of "osc". Currently, it seems hard to
> pick the right one. Removing implicit wildcard matching would help
> greatly. I don't know if removing implicit wildcard matching would
> cause troubles, but I can't think of any right now.

On second read, my reasoning seems based on one specific issue I
experienced, so that's not a strong point.

But I honestly think that far more often you follow instructions and
know exactly the name of the externals you want to install. I believe
remembering only part of the name of an external is less common. As you
say: If you only remember a part and you know it, you still can employ
explicit wildcard characters. So yes, removing implicit wildcard
matching would be an improvement.

Roman