[PD] detect dependencies from patch

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 26 21:46:57 CET 2021

On 2/26/21 1:41 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer. This would address my request. Further down,  I
> found this:
>
> https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues/122
>
>  From what I understand, this would somewhat diminish the need for
> helping users identify missing externals when the _specified_ stuff is
> installed automatically.

yes, but:
- the ticket is 5 years old. it's not likely (though possible) that it
will be tackled anytime soon.

- it's still very unclear how the actual user-interface would look like
(a requirements.txt file is all nice and dandy if you are working on the
cmdline; less so if you never heard of such a thing and just got this
freaky Pd patch from somebody)¹.

- and the biggest issue

as of now, deken is stateless.
this is cool, as it makes everything simple to implement.
however, it also means that deken doesn't know anything about which
libraries are already installed, and which versions thereof.
when you click on a search-result, it will just blindly (re-)install the
selected library (and immediately forget about it again).
i think this can become somewhat dangerous when doing in a fully
automated way.
esp. the "uninstall before re-install" option (which is enabled by default).

fmdsar
IOhannes

¹ what i do imagine is something like: using the [declare] object as the
dependency specification. right-clicking on a [declare] and selecting
"Open" would open up deken with all the libraries specified in [declare]
filled in the search form.
this doesn't deal with versioned dependencies though.