[PD] how to force the DSP call? / set delread~ delay name

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 22:13:08 CET 2021

Hi, so, I'm working on my variant of delread/write with more features like
"freezing", for reference =>
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2021-03/129181.html

So, here's another question, thought I'd open a new thread. I'm now at the
point of setting the delay name to delread-like object, the problem is that
I need to force a dsp call, which can be done by creating a new object or
something like that before the new delay name takes effect.

This is because the delay line to read is passed via the dsp_add function
in "sigdelread_dsp" or "sigvd_dsp", for example see
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/src/d_delay.c#L330

someone once asked about this on the list and the answer was to find an
alternative solution that didn't need to force the call, see
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2020-11/128514.html - so I
don't know if this is possible, or dangerous or something. I wouldn't know
of a possible alternative as well.

I don't know if other people out there would love the idea of being able to
set a new delay name to [delread~]/[delread4~]. If so, we can also make
that request, but then the problem would be the same.

thanks