[PD] inlet names (bad?) practice?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 18:45:56 CET 2021

> On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 11:10:36 AM EST, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> wrote:
 > Hi, I was asking people on facebook where did they get the idea of putting names in inlets/outlets, like: [inlet this-inlet-controls-frequency].
Not sure. But A_DEFSYM and A_DEFFLOAT are implemented in a way that allows an arbitrary number of extra float/symbol arguments, so it could be `[inlet this inlet controls frequency]`. Or following the `[get]` and `[set]` pattern-- `[inlet - this inlet controls frequency]` to skip over the first arg that is currently used for up/downsampling.

Someone asked on the Purr Data list about this. It would be easy to implement, but it doesn't cover the case of setting a description for the object itself. Plus I'd much rather just leverage the documentation index in the GUI to look up tooltip data.

-Jonathan