[PD] inlet names (bad?) practice?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 21:09:39 CET 2021

> On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 2:48:36 PM EST, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> wrote:

 Em ter., 2 de mar. de 2021 às 16:26, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> escreveu:

Pd-l2ork 1.0 has tooltips

> hmm, but how does it work?
By fetching the data from `[pd META]` subpatches in help patches, which is the same across abstractions, binary externals, and internal classes.

> Does it show the symbol from an inlet argument?
Nope. I knew one *could* abuse inlet(~)/outlet(~) to write descriptions of the data flowing, but I didn't know until last week that anyone was actually using it to do that in practice.

I'd strongly advise investigating a way to implement tooltips that is more robust-- one that handles cases for externals as well as showing a general description when mousing over the main rectangle of an object.

Otherwise you'll end up with something like Cascading Style Sheets where the data for tips is scattered all over the place, or tooltip data in one place overrides tooltip data in another, etc.

-Jonathan