[PD] pause writing to delay line / hybrid of array and delay

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 05:33:33 CET 2021

Em qua., 3 de mar. de 2021 às 21:38, José de Abreu <abreubacelar at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> very nice videos! but i think i used the wrong name then, what i did was
> what max asked, when you switch off the delay, it just works as an array
> and the write pointer keeps frozen and only resumes writing when you switch
> it on again

 I confess I was just kind of obsessed with the idea of providing a
'freeze' function a la MAX, cause since I started working on cyclone I was
jealous they had it. Apart from jealousness and envyness I actually never
needed or thought about.

Now that I keep thinking about this, I realize there's also the alternative
of doing the other way around. That is, write into an array and use that as
a delay line. Maybe not easily doable with vanilla, cause I guess
[tabwrite~] won't easily loop when writing into the array, but there are
externals for this.

In cyclone we have [record~] and [poke~] to write to arrays, plus [play~]
to play them. Just keep writing into arrays in a loop and read also in a
loop (but delayed). One can also use [tabread4~], why not? This is not all
that straightforward, I know, but I don't think this hack with the delay
line is pretty :)

By the way, I learned that in SuperCollider you have a Tap object that just
plays from a regular buffer (i.e. an array) like that.

I have to confess I haven't fully figured it out yet how the code of
[delread~]/[delwrite~] worksl, but it seems it's just like that, it keeps
writing into a buffer in a loop...

Anyway, I'm now toying with the idea of implementing a delay without
delread/write objects for fun.

I can also suggest objects from the ELSE library, like [tabwriter~] to
record and [taplayer~] to play, or also [table~] driven by [ramp~]

And the idea is that you can easily stop writing into the arrays with these
objects and continue from where you left off.

what do you think?

cheers