[PD] 2 bugs and a feature request, FYI

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 20:35:50 CET 2021

 On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:06 AM IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
wrote:

> >     - *tabwrite should act sensibly upon out of bound address #1281*
> >     https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/1281
>
> as explained in the issue, this is by design.
> if you hate it, just use [moses] to filter out the out-of-bound indices.

It seems quite unexpected behavior, but yes I can do range checking.
And agree w/Alex this behavior should be documented.

> >     - *Feature Request: allow a [clone] instance to know the total
> number of
> >     instances #1279*
> >     https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/1279
>
> i was under the impression, that in the end everybody agreed that this
> feature doesn't buy us anything.

Well, I don't think everyone did agree.

> [clone -n foo 20] takes the same number of chars as [clone foo 20 20]
> and needs more brain power to parse ("what was that '-n' flag for again?").
> the other solutions require much extra work both for the implementation
> of the feature and for using it, making it more likely to introduce bugs.

Well, I understand. But maybe there is a simple solution no one has dreamed
up.
I'd prefer to leave this one open, but the wrapper solution proposed by (??)
seems like that may work for my purposes.

BH