[PD] messy situations: writesf~ feature request

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:59:31 CET 2021

* info at hansroels.be <info at hansroels.be> [2021-03-09 11:28]:
> Hello,
>
> I think it's a problem that in 'messy' situations you don't have feedback
> from writesf~ to know/see that the recording is happening. With 'messy' I
> mean situations where you aren't fully concentrated on recording, for
> example: simultaneously performing on stage and making a multichannel
> recording, moderating a meeting and at the same time recording it. I have
> noticed that after some of these messy situations, I didn't have a recording
> or a channel was missing/silent. I tested writesf~ and here are some
> observations:
>
> A) if you send a [stop( message to writesf~ after [open( the recording
> doesn't start but there is no error message (in the main Pd window); next,
> if you send [start( there is an error message and no recording.
> B) if you send [start( -and thus start the recording-, next switch off the
> DSP, switch it on again, the recording automatically continues (from the
> moment the DSP has been switched on again). No error message is printed.
> C) if during a recording, the DSP is switched off and the patch -with
> writesf~- is also closed, the recording stops of course but no panic: the
> recorded file is OK and available to be read. No error message is printed.
> D) If you send a second [start( message during the recording, an error
> message is printed but in fact the recording continues without any problems.
If you have DSP switched on and you have sent the open and then the
start message to writesf~ it will record. So you can derive and display
all your requested information from your own actions, it does not make
sense to spit out error messages for that.

> E) If you send [open(, next  [start( when the DSP is off, the recording
> doesn't start but no error message is printed. Next, when you switch on the
> DSP, the recording automatically starts.
The same is true for [osc~ 440]. No error message printed when DSP is
off, and it automatically starts oscillating when you turn DSP on.

> F) If the signal connection going to writesf~ is broken, the recording
> starts without an error message, but the recorded file will be useless: it
> only has zeroes.
Define "broken" signal. I wouldn't want an alert if I am recording
silence for example as silence is part of music.

I know this may sound frustrating, but it is your own responsibility to
have DSP switched on, the soundfile opened and signal cords connected I
am afraid.

best, P