[PD] Trigger question

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 17 17:19:10 CET 2021

On 3/17/21 9:20 AM, adam johnson wrote:
> I guess I was not clear, I am not using it as a loop, I was just saying
> that at the code level [trigger] is a for loop, so having it break would be
> simple to add.

and i was only saying that just because something is implemented in
such-and-such way should be of no concern.
it's implemented in C.
it would be trivial to launch rockets on the third outlet from the left
as a side effect.

>  I am using it more as a conditional, if certain conditions
> are met on this output, it bangs the right inlet and stops the rest. This
> is easy enough to manage other ways most of the time, but it can get ugly.

for conditions use [select].
you still have to come up with an example where it gets so ugly it's
hard to bear.

> I will attempt to simplify my current use after work and send it on if this
> has not resolved by then, so far my attempts to simplify it have not been
> successful and the patch itself needs to be cleaned up before subjecting
> anyone to it, which I am currently working on doing.

what are the chances that while you clean up the patches so they are
presentable you discover that whatever you thought you needed a
stoppable trigger evaporates?

anyhow.

somehow i think what you want to do is like this:

[t b b]
|     |
|     (calculate condition whether the left-branch should run)

(depending on right branch run or not)

the proper way to do this is:

(calculate condition whether the sub-tree should run)

[select 1]

(subtree-to-run if condition above was met)

vmgsdr
IOhannes