[PD] Sending Startbit and Stopbit with comport for MIDI with Arduino

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon Mar 22 08:59:02 CET 2021

Hi,

I would like to send MIDI with [comport] from Pd by using an Arduino.

Reading into Pd is no problem.
It also works fine as a MIDI Thru by simply forwarding the Serial1 RX input
(MIDI input) to the Serial1 TX output (MIDI Thru).
Something like this:

      if (Serial1.available() > 0) {
        Serial1.write(Serial1.read());
      }

(The loop duration is only about 250 µs so there is no timing problem in
this case.
For data coming in faster than the loop duration I would probably have to
read into an arry first.)

However, if I'm sending a MIDI message from Pd it's not recognized by the
connected MIDI interface.
I'm assuming that's probably because there is no startbit and stopbit that
the MIDI interface is looking for.

According to the helpfile I can send a stopbit with [comport] but I didn't
find anything about a startbit.

Is there a possibility within Pd and [comport] to send a startbit or would
it make more sense to add the startbit and stopbit within the Arduino
programming?

Thanks!
Ingo