[PD] Manage JACK connections from Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 16:00:57 CET 2021

On Fri, 2021-03-12 at 19:20 +0100, Allister Sinclair wrote:
> I don't know if an external exists for that but you could use command
> lines from pd.
> (On linux I would use jack_connect and jack_disconnect commands
> through the [ggee/shell] object.

Now, that [ggee/shell] reports the proper exit code, this seemed a
feasible approach. Not for long, though. There is no way around Pd
prepending each symbol with a backslash. So, it is impossible to
address a port like:

  "ardour:send 7/audio_in 1"

Passing such a symbol to jack_connect through [shell] ends with:

  ERROR ardour:send\ 1/audio_out\ 1 not a valid port

I remember a discussion going on github (can't find it right now) about
whether the escaping with \ is an implementation detail that shouldn't
be exposed to the user or the world outside of Pd. Now, I wonder
whether it is [shell] not dealing properly with escaped characters in
symbols, or whether the culprit is actually in Pd here.

I'm not quite sure how to go on about this.

Roman