[PD] pd version of tosymbol or similar?

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 00:56:37 CEST 2021

Hi folks, I'm trying to figure out how to have a bunch of text, with
spacces, get treated as one symbol so that an external can work with it as
one thing. In Max, I did this by using the tosymbol object, and then
creating a message that was 'eval-string "(all my text as one string
here)"'. Is there a Pd idiom for doing something similar that I should
follow?  Use cases are

a) someone enters code in a message box:  '(out 0 :foobar)'
b) code is received as a long string over osc or other network, and needs
to be sent to the external

Apologies at the Pd ignorance, still trying to figure all this out while!
iain