[PD] OSC limitations in Vanilla

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Apr 18 12:05:30 CEST 2021

Am 18. April 2021 09:21:57 MESZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>:
> I asked this on the facebook group, thought I'd ask it here as well.
> Who
> cannot be happy with vanilla's OSC support and still needs mrpeach and
> stuff? I mean, really really need as in there's no way to deal with
> such
> OSC tasks in Vanilla.

simple: timestamps and bundles.

if your sender application uses bundles and you can't change that, you are stuck with mrpeach.

i think practically all applications I've written that send OSC data (to Pd,...) use bundles (except for toy apps, or during class when I didn't want to get sidetracked).

if jitter is a problem (and often it is, if you are transmitting notes or periodically sampled data), you *need* timestamps.

I don't really like the timestamp implementation in mrpeach (as it uses real time, rather than logical time), but better this than nothing...

mfg.hft.fsl
IOhannes