[PD] OSC limitations in Vanilla

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Tue Apr 20 00:49:47 CEST 2021

> so what i'm really suggesting to "fix" the timestamps in [packOSC] is
> to use logical time for *advancing time* (and add some offset to put
> the timestamps into the same calendar as NTP)
This corresponds to 2) in my previous mail. While this sounds simple in
theory, in practice you will encounter problems with clock drift sooner
or later. Supernova had to introduce an option to use the system time
instead of the logical time because some users had experienced issues.
For a drastic example, search for "timing drift supernova"
inhttps://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-dev-2014/search/
<https://www.listarc.bham.ac.uk/lists/sc-dev-2014/search/>

In Pd there is another issue with advancing by logical time: Pd has very
relaxed realtime-safety constraints and it is very common to
occasionally drop some audio blocks, e.g. when opening a large patch or
while Pd blocks, so your timestamps will be late forever.

FWIW, here's my current approach to scheduling/dispatching OSC bundles
in Pd (for the next AOO release):

1) sample the system time *once* per DSP block

2) filter the time with a DLL to get rid of jitter

3) check for dropped audio blocks and resync the time base. This is hard
to do in a plugin. The best solution I've come up with so far is to
average the last few delta times and check if it rises above a certain
threshold.

All of this steps wouldn't be necessary if Pd would

1) give access to the (estimated) system time of the current DSP tick

2) resync the system time and send a notification (e.g. a message to
"pd") when the polling scheduler has to drop a block of audio

There's still a potential problem with xruns in the audio driver. Jack
has a xrun callback
(https://jackaudio.org/api/group__ClientCallbacks.html#ga08196c75f06d9e68f9a3570dfcb1e323).
Portaudio has input/output overflow/underflow flags that are passed to
the stream callback, but it's up to the audio driver to actually provide
this information. I've read somewhere that many ASIO drivers don't do
this...

Christof