[PD] PInstrument, modular synthesis on Raspberry Pi

Samuel Burt composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com
Tue May 18 21:44:18 CEST 2021

Hi, list. Thought some of you might be interested in this.

https://github.com/TricksterSam/PInstrument

I've shared my code for my PInstrument, a set of modules for audio
synthesis built in Pure Data designed to run on a small touch screen.
Specifically, the interface is designed to work on a 320x240 2.8 inch TFT
Capacitive Touchscreen but it will work on any larger screen. The
PInstrument is also designed to run on a low-power CPU like those in a
Raspberry Pi 3 or 4. It was also designed with a 4in/8out DC-coupled
interface to be used with a Eurorack synthesizer. As of 2021, Expert
Sleepers produces both the ES-8 and ES-9 that will solve these purposes.

I use it as a rack-mounted touch-screen in conjunction with an ES-8 to add
functionality to my Eurorack setup without needing a big laptop on the desk.

In it you'll find a number of modules:
Relabi Waves - a four channel chaotic oscillator
Turing Machine
Phase Sequence
Wave Folder
VCA Panner - panner and four channel mixer
Quad Cosines
Clocks - a four channel clock-divider and clock-synced wave generator
Drums - a quick and dirty set of synth drum sounds
Pitch Tracker - three channels of pitch tracking for V/O control

You can certainly run this wherever and however you want. You might even
find some of the modules and abstractions useful. Using Eurorack has
fundamentally shifted some of my approaches to Pure Data coding and I
wanted to see what I could accomplish here. You can run it with Eurorack
with Expert Sleepers or just run it stand alone on your computer.

I believe it's all vanilla Pd. So there shouldn't be any compatibility
issues.

Feel free to fork or get in touch if you want to contribute. This is an
evolving project, but I think it's reached a level of maturity that others
might benefit. If you want help setting it up to boot from startup on a
Raspberry Pi, get in touch.

Cheers!
Sam