[PD] UDP server with Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 16:17:29 CEST 2021

On Thu, 2021-06-03 at 19:51 +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> You could try a longer connection timeout via the [timeout f(
> message.

Isn't the 'timeout' method only affecting TCP sessions? In UDP nothing
at all is sent when using 'connect' method. It internally sets
destination address and port, I believe.

What I discovered is that when I create a UDP server with Miller's
trick and I send a stream of packets to it, the [netsend -u -b] on the
client side reports '0' shortly after starting the stream. Since UDP is
actually state-less , what happens - I _believe_ - is that the server
sends back a notification about the destination port not being
reachable. I read somewhere that some systems do that.

> The default is 10 seconds, I believe, but maybe it might need more
> time if hosts take forever to resolve.

In my experience, its usually not a non-existing domain names that take
long to resolve (they usually get a NXDOMAIN answer quite quickly), but
trying to connect to unreachable addresses or ports takes long, and
also only when the connection request is silently dropped, but not when
it is denied.

Roman