[PD] UDP server with Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 22:59:53 CEST 2021

On Fri, 2021-06-04 at 21:34 +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Ah yes, you are right. [timeout( is for TCP. I think I got that mixed
> up with UDP previously closing itself after some sort of unknown host
> return etc which we removed to make it "fire and forget."

Ah, now I remember. It was that thread where I read about those
notification messages. Your message reminded me that I was actually
testing with [iemnet/udpclient] which does not seem to ignore those
messages. And indeed, [netsend -u] does _not_ disconnect itself when
sending many packets to Miller's proposed UDP server emulation.
However, many packets are dropped, even on localhost. So, it seems that
the quickly-binding-and-releasing-port business doesn't really make for
a decent UDP server, unfortunately. I was hoping that a C illiterate
person like me would get something going with Pd performing better than
with Python. I guess I have to wait for
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/949 or learn C ;-)

Roman