[PD] UDP server with Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:18:18 CEST 2021

On Wed, 2021-06-09 at 10:41 -0400, Martin Peach wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2021-06-07 at 23:51 +0200, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > A quick follow-up. The new object [udpsrvr] works flawlessly. I
> > couldn't find any issues with it. I've used it to relay packets
> > between
> > multiple clients.
> >
> > However, my hope a Pd implementation is faster than the python
> > script
> > turned out to be forlorn. In reality, the Pd version eats ~50% more
> > cycles (at least same ballpark, which is still impressive for Pd, I
> > think).
>
> In the last commit I added a verbosity method so it doesn't print to
> the console by default.

I commented out the respective 'post', because printing something to
the console on each 'to' message was too much.

>  This may speed it up a bit.
> OTOH I added an symbol output of the IP so it can be fed directly
> into
> the [to( message, so that may slow it down if the symbol lookup takes
> a long time.

Whether I create the symbol or get it directly from the output, isn't
the lookup the same? Anyway, there is/was a discussion on the iemnet
repo whether the number list ipv4 address should be replaced by
symbolic ipv4 address. I think that it makes sense.

Roman