[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 22:52:53 CEST 2021

Hi

I was just discussing a feature request to an external (aoo) for
posting error messages to the outlet instead of the Pd console.

It reminded me that I often found error posts on the console limiting
because they make the error condition inaccessible for the patch. Often
there is no way to deal with a certain error condition on a patch
level.

Many programming languages provide an infrastructure to deal with error
conditions in flexible ways. Pd not so much. OTOH, Pd considered being
a rather higher level language, many people might do not expect such
flexibility and are happy with clear errors in the console without
having to hook up [print]s to all kinds of status outlets.

Now, what if the (error) messages printed to the console could be made
accessible to the patch? This wouldn't affect convenience of current
error post practice, but could allow for dealing with error conditions
within the patch. I do not have a clear picture of how exactly this
could be designed, but then I wonder if people think whether this is an
intelligent idea at all, before I open a feature request. Or maybe an
existing external already does that?

Roman