[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 14 13:29:14 CEST 2021

On 6/14/21 10:23 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-06-14 at 10:02 +0200, Peter P. wrote:
>
>>   I am wondering how one would
>> parse these error messages if they came from one single object outlet
>> tell where the error originated from?
>
> I am wondering about that, too. Maybe a [pderror] would be canvas-local
> and only report errors from objects belonging to the local canvas? And
> it would prepend the name of the object to the message?

i quite like the idea of having a canvas-scope for such an object.

however, i think [pderror] is a bad name, as i would expect this object
to be usable for *generating* errors (ala [print]), rather than
outputting them.

anyhow, i think the proposal maps nicely to what other languages offer
as "exception handling".
from that pov, a good name would be [catch] (which would be *very* good,
if, alas! that weren't already occupied by the similarly named but
totally different [catch~]), or [except] (but i somehow have the feeling
that this would need some explicit *connection* to the object that is
bailing out).

with iemgut's in mind, i would go for [canvaserror] (or, for a more
general case: [canvasconsole]).

On 6/14/21 10:37 AM, Peter P. wrote:
 > Yes, that's a good idea, but what if there are two identical objects
 > on the same canvas?

i think that would be *your* problem.
if you want to catch error messages from two instances of the same
objectclass, just put them into separate canvases.
simple as that.

e.g. cf the python code
```
try:
   x=int("foo")
   y=int("bar")
except:
   print("one of the two conversions failed")
```

while thinking about the exception analogy, it might be interesting to
be able to re-throw an error message:
if you don't want to hande the error in your canvas, you can just pass
it on to the parent canvas by sending it to an [error] object.

the same could apply to [print], which can be considered just as a
"low-priority error".

fgmdsr
IOhannes