[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:25:06 CEST 2021

* IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2021-06-14 13:32]:
[...]
> with iemgut's in mind, i would go for [canvaserror] (or, for a more general
> case: [canvasconsole]).
For beginners, "canvas" is not a common concept as it currently is not
explained anywhere as a "patch window" or similar. Hence the name might be
difficult to relate to the object's function.

I would call it [patcherror] and explain that it is per canvas in the
help-patch, possibly giving it a flag to report all errors.
Or [pdebug], or ...

[...]
> while thinking about the exception analogy, it might be interesting to be
> able to re-throw an error message:
> if you don't want to hande the error in your canvas, you can just pass it on
> to the parent canvas by sending it to an [error] object.
>
> the same could apply to [print], which can be considered just as a
> "low-priority error".
Possibly just use print. Can one prefix a print color somehow btw?

best, P