[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 14 15:55:51 CEST 2021

On 6/14/21 3:33 PM, Christof Ressi wrote:

> Here's another idea, which I don't really love, but which I would prefer
> over your proposed [canvaserror]:
>
> Method calls which can generate an error send the error code to a global
> [errno] object and the user can query the current error state with a
> bang. This would be similar to 'errno' in C.

but which error-code?
i mean, there currently is no such thing and if you want to use it you
have to hope for the object author to implement it.

the nice thing about the [patcherror] object is that no changes would be
required to whatever objects (apart from the patch that uses it,
obviously; but that's true for all solutions).

i also like the possibility, to suppress error printout (e.g. when
opening an *optional* configuration file).

and: it would allow us to catch *multiple* errors (e.g. if an object
emitted two errors in a row, without stopping to send something to the
outlet so we can query the errno).
as well as being able to catch errors that are not triggered by a
message directly (think: delayed opening of a file; either because this
happens only when dsp is turned on, or even in a separate thread).

gamdrs
IOhannes