[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Jun 14 16:11:14 CEST 2021

Ok, I think we have to seperate two things:

1) posting error messages

2) obtaining error codes

I think Roman is primarly interested in 2), so that his patches can
programmatically deal with certain error conditions.

Of course, 1) and 2) can be combined into a single object, basically
errno + strerror.

I just shudder at the thought that users would start parsing error
messages. After all, error messages are meant for display and can change
at any moment. In the future, error messages might even get localized.

I find it extremely important to add proper error codes from the start
to establish good practices.

> i mean, there currently is no such thing and if you want to use it you
> have to hope for the object author to implement it.
Sure. But library authors could update their objects to introduce error
codes. If well designed, error codes could be entirely optional, e.g.
[errno] outputting -1 if no error code was set.

Christof