[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Jun 14 22:34:58 CEST 2021

that's an excellent idea!

---

I think it could work like this:

[catch] has one inlet and two outlets. If you send a message to the
inlet, the object will

1) reset the global (per instance) error state to a reserved value

2) forward the message throught he right outlet. This message would call
a "throwing" method in another object, which would in turn set the error
state.

3) output the current error state

There could be a public API method, e.g. pd_setlasterror(), which would
set the current error code.

I think it would make sense to *always* output an error code, even on
success, so we wouldn't need special logic to distinguish between
success and failure. For example, 0 could always mean "no error".

Also, it might be useful to distinguish between "no error" and "unknown"
(used in step 1).

If [catch] outputs "unknown", we know that the object didn't call
pd_setlasterror(). This way we can write code that also works with older
versions of the object.

Christof