[PD] Ability to access error messages from patch

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 13:54:40 CEST 2021

Hi all,

On 17/06/2021 12:25, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Pd is a data flow language and I thikn the per-canvas paradigm maps
> well to the idea of data "passing through a danger zone" - which it
> can also leave as well.
> however, I do like oliver's idea of hooking up such a [catch]-like
> object in the object-tree.

Both have their merits, I suppose the depth first flow version could
benefit from another object to uninstall the error handler, making it
able to emulate the per-canvas mechanism.

A feature like "(re-)throw error/exception to parent" could be useful in
both cases; with top-level unhandled errors getting printed in the
console.  And a "throw error to current exception handler" would be
useful too.

This proliferation of objects makes me think that it could be useful to
have an [error foo] set of objects, like [list].

Something like this perhaps (swap outlet order if you like, doesn't
bother me)

[error begin  ]
  |           |
[foo]      recover from bar and baz errors (apart from error 42 from
bar) as well as errors from foo

[error begin      ]
[bar]         [route 42                    ]
[error end]  recover from bar error 42     [error throw]

[baz]

Claude
--
https://mathr.co.uk