[PD] [OFFTOPIC] Re: SND (Was Audacity)

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 14:09:57 CEST 2021

On Mon, Jul 05, 2021 at 07:28:03AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Hi Andy !
>
> >... Running an old copy of CoolEdit98 under Wine or Roger
> >Dannenberg's Snd reminds me what a real audio editor should feel
> >like.
>
> You mean Bill Schottstaedt's SND ?

I did mean that Dave, Kjetil also put me right on it.

Used it for a couple of years rather intensely, and got into
configuring it heavily too, learning a bit more lisp (Guile) - but
ultimately hit the bottom because it seemed like the bedrock DSP was
written in C and beyond my skills at that time. Anyway I loved it, and
got to be quite productive doing multitrack mixes. There was something
light, simple and consistent about how it felt, and blazingly
fast. Ultimately I drifted away. Maybe because Motif feels abandoned?

Also used it for the diagrams in Designing Sound because of the
straightforward informational simplicity and customisable annotation.
Have occasionally used it since for lecture slides.

There's a tendency to romanticism about old software, and probably if
I went back to it now it would disappoint, but in my mind it's a
place I would start if a project needed a new audio editor, not
as heavy as Ardour the DAW, but fresher than Audacity.
Editing a wav or ogg file should be as easy as using nano.

> >(new book: https://digitavegan.net)
> That URL needs corrected.
> Best regards,

Thanks Dave, yeah, should be https://digitalvegan.net