[PD] JACK affects UDP rate

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 18:48:13 CEST 2021

On Fri, 2021-07-23 at 15:09 +0200, Christof Ressi wrote:
> I assume you're using [iemnet] or [mrpeach] objects?

Yes, [iemnet/udpclient]. But it seems the same applies to [netsend]
(when receiving).

> Those only read a single UDP packet in the poll function.

OK, good to know. I'm glad I was not way off with my assumption. Would
it be technically possible for the reader thread to read as many
packets as available during a single tick? I mean could this be
addressed in iemnet without touching Pd code?

> [netreceive], on the other hand, reads several packets up to a
> certain throttle limit.

I see. I haven't tested with [netreceive] yet, since I need a bi-
directional connection. [netsend] behaves similar to
[iemnet/udpclient].

> Now to the actual problem:

[...]

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!

> I guess similar solutions would have to be applied to the audio
> backends as well...

This I don't understand. You mean the additional check if the poll
function has something available needs to be implemented for _other_
audio backends as well, as in: for each separately?

Roman