[PD] JACK affects UDP rate

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Sat Jul 24 04:16:45 CEST 2021

Hmmm... in the jack backend there is no ring buffer. Jack just dumps a
large buffer from the audio callback and notifies the Pd audio thread,
which consumes the buffer in chunks of 64 samples.

I think you could just copy the port audio backend implementation with
its lock-free ringbuffer. This would also solve the socket polling issue :-)

Maybe the "polling scheduler" part could even be moved out of
"s_audio_pa.c" and shared with the jack backend.

---

On the other hand, I've been wondering if the "Delay" parameter is
actually necessary at all. As the Jack backend demonstrates, you can
just as well use a larger hardware buffer size. The only advantages I
see are:

* latency can be controlled at a finer granularity; hardware buffer
sizes are usually power-of-2s, so there's no step between 11.6 ms (512
samples) and 23.3 ms (1024 samples), for example.

* the latency can be set arbitrarily high while the hardware buffer size
is limited (often 1024 samples)

Unfortunately, very few people actually seem to understand the
difference between the "block size" (= hardware buffer size) and the
"Delay" in Pd's audio settings and how they interact... But maybe that's
just because of the lack of documentation. After all, I only understood
it after reading the code :-)

Christof