[PD] JACK2 support on macOS

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 10:23:44 CEST 2021

Hey all

On macOS, I used to download a package named JackOSX for installing
JACK (which seems to be the JACK1 implementation). Since a while now,
the prominent source to get JACK seems https://jackaudio.org where you
get JACK2 installers for macOS (and other platforms).

Pd downloaded from Miller's site doesn't see the JACK2 server on macOS.
However, when I build a Pd.app against JACK2, I end up with a Pd that
works with both, JACK1 and JACK2. To me it looks like the official
builds are built against JACK1.

Is there a reason to stick with JACK1, when building against JACK2
seems to support both? I'm not totally sure how far that support goes.
I know about some instances where Pd.app built against JACK2 didn't see
the JACK1 server. I didn't figure out why this was the case on one such
system, but not on others.

Anyway, my impression is that someone installing JACK on macOS now is
more likely to find JACK2 than JACK1.

Roman