[PD] JACK2 support on macOS

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:09:34 CEST 2021

On Fri, 2021-07-30 at 11:13 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
On 7/30/21 10:23, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> > Anyway, my impression is that someone installing JACK on macOS now
> > is
> > more likely to find JACK2 than JACK1.
>
> i don't think so.

Ok. Where are you getting JACK for macOS from? Should we point Pd users
to some specific resource to get JACK from so that it works with Pd?

> afaict, the problem is rather how JACK2 ships the libraries.
> JACK1 shipped a framework that is used by Pd's build system.
> JACK2 does not ship such a framework and thus it can obviously not
> be
> found by Pd (resulting in no-jack-support).

My understanding (or rather: experience, I don't really understand the
details) is that the framework isn't needed anymore.

> so the bug could be considered to be in the JACK2 distribution
> package.
>
> in the end it doesn't really matter against which JACK we are
> building.

My experience is this: When I download JACK from where I think I'm
supposed to get JACK from, Pd from Miller's site doesn't talk to it.
Maybe I'm doing something what a normal user wouldn't do, but I'd like
to know what. Right now what is available isn't compatible.

> what does matter however, is that JACK support in the *binary* is
> purely
> optional.
>
> if your Pd version (that is built against JACK1) cannot find the
> running
> JACK2 server, this is unfortunate.
> but if your Pd version (that is built against JACK2) refuses to load
> on
> a system that doesn't have JACK installed (whatever version), i
> think
> this is much more serious.

Absolutely. However, my experience contradicts this.

Building a Pd.app like this:

~~~
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure \
    --enable-jack \
    --disable-jack-framework
  make -j
  make app
~~~

creates a build that runs with:
  * JACK1
  * JACK2
  * no JACK installed

This is on 10.15.7. I don't have access to other macOS versions right
now and I fully support being cautious. But contrary to your statement
that JACK1 is more 'compatible', the Pd.app I get from Miller's site
doesn't run with JACK2, which I believe is what users normally install
these days. The site http://www.jackosx.com mentioned in INSTALL.txt
doesn't exist anymore.

I don't know how the official Ardour6.app is built, but it works with
both JACK1 and JACK2, and also with no JACK installed (in case this has
any relevance).

Roman