[PD] Gaussian Waveshaper

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 06:19:36 CEST 2021

Hi list,

I've been looking at the gaussian waveshaper in the [savestate] help file.
It's pretty straightforward but I had two questions about it:

1. The bandwidth parameter determines how many standard deviations from
zero the "wavetable" contains in order to set the width of the impulse, and
vary the number of audible partials. The question is how literally to take
the number – is it merely proportional (bw of 1000Hz gives you roughly
twice as many partials as bw of 500Hz), or is it more exact (bw of 1000Hz
gives you partials roughly up to about 1000Hz)?

2. Is there a reason for waveshaping a sinusoid as opposed to a phasor?
It's clear that at transition points between periods you'll be guaranteed a
smooth waveform if you use a sinusoid (i.e. the slope won't change
abruptly). Is there anything more subtle than that going on?

Thanks,
Matt