[PD] font family DejaVu Sans Mono not found on piCore

Antoine Rousseau antoine at metalu.net
Tue Sep 7 16:52:21 CEST 2021

Hi,

I'm connecting through "ssh -X" to a piCore (i.e TinyCoreLinux for
RaspberryPi) headless install on a rPi3 (my desktop is an Ubuntu Linux).
When I run Pd with GUI, it can only use the (barely readable, see the
attached screenshot) default Courier font:

WARNING: font family 'DejaVu Sans Mono' not found, using default (Courier
10 Pitch)

However, the piCore "dejavu-fonts-ttf.tcz" extension is loaded, and
fontconfig apparently does find the DejaVu font, e.g:

~$ fc-list | grep DejaVuSansMono
/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans
Mono:style=Oblique
/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans
Mono:style=Bold Oblique
/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans
Mono:style=Bold
/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf: DejaVu Sans
Mono:style=Book

(I have the same kind of results on my Linux desktop).

Is there something I can do to have TclTk load DejaVu?
Note that using '-font-face "DejaVu Sans Mono"' doesn't seem to help.

thanks.

    Antoine