[PD] list of Pd forks?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 6 10:49:02 CEST 2021

On 10/6/21 10:16 AM, Christof Ressi wrote:
> FWIW, I wouldn't consider pd-iem a fork, either. IMO, adding a bunch of
> plugins doesn't qualify as a fork. I think a better word would be
> "distro". Actually, that's how the project describes itself:
>
> "is a Pure Data libraries distribution for plain Pure Data (Pd-vanilla),
> focussed on (but not limited to) IEM libraries."

sure.
i wouldn't consider pd-iem a fork myself.

> Of course, there is no universal definition of "fork" and lots of grey
> areas with great potential for infinite bike shedding.

which is what i am famous for :-P

in any case, *because* there is no universal definition of "fork", there
should at least be a common understanding of the term if we want to
answer a question like "how many forks of Pd are there?"

alex listed "pd-extended" as one of the well-known forks.
but what constitutes the forkiness in this case?
apparently not the large number of externals shipped (as this would make
it as "distro"), but something else.
from the top of my head (as I never was a Pd-extended user myself), two
things come to my mind: tooltips and white object-backgrounds (going
along with those red signal connections).

otoh, I consider the "puredata" package as shipped with
Debian/Ubuntu/... to be *Pd-vanilla*, thus not a fork.
nevertheless, it contains some (minor) source-code modifications with
respect to what you get when installing Pd from scratch:
- some bugfixes, that are already present in the 'master' branch of Pd,
but did not make it into the last release
- some enhancements (like jack port numbering starting from 1 rather
than 0), that are already present in the 'master' branch of Pd, but did
not make it into the last release
- some debian specific modification (e.g. showing the time when the
package was released rather than the time when Pd was compiled; enhanced
privacy in HTML-code; search some additional paths for externals and/or
gui-plugins,...)

some of the "bugfixes" and "enhancements" have been added to the Debian
packages *before* they were merged into Pd's 'master' branch (although
*I* might have pushed them into the 'develop' branch with a high
confidence that they will end up in 'master' once miller goes into
merge-mode).

does this make it a "fork" then?

mgfdasr
IOhannes