[PD] list of Pd forks?

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Wed Oct 6 17:31:05 CEST 2021

Le 06/10/2021 à 16:46, Alexandre Torres Porres a écrit :
> hmmm, I thought there was a pretty simple and straightforward and "universal" definition of a fork, which would be basically a parallel (independent) development. Maybe there's just no "official scientific definition"? Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)> says "/a project fork happens when developers take a copy of source code from one software package and start independent development on it, creating a distinct and separate piece of software/", one of the referred sources on wikipedia <https://flosshub.org/sites/flosshub.org/files/paper_0.pdf> says "/In general it is assumed that a software product evolves within the authoring company or group of developers that develop the project. However, in some cases different groups of developers make the software evolve in different directions, a situation which is commonly known as a fork./"

[...]
> And, well, I can't consider MAX as a fork of Pd or the other way around. I heard that MSP objects were first based on Pd signal objects, but that's not really a fork of the software, more like appropriation - or stealing :)

The fork is not about Max, but about MSP. Last time I start Max/MSP (v 3.1), the startup log says "MSP based on pd by Miller S. Puckette"
I think it fall under the fork definition on the beginning of your mail (MSP use pd code, and is now "developed independently" and is clearly a "distinctive piece of software").
MSP is probably the most famous pd fork!

(and electronic-art fork I mention in my previous mail fall also in this definition)

Anyway, maybe you are more looking at open sources fork of Pd ? (many closed sources fork will never be identified)

cheers