[PD] details on the birth of extended (was "list of Pd forks?")

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 19:49:57 CEST 2021

I'm now forking the thread :)

Em qua., 6 de out. de 2021 às 12:41, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> On 10/6/21 4:46 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but as I see it, Pd-Extended started as a
> > "distro", then it evolved to a proper fork with parallel/independent
> > development.
>
> not really.

Pd-extended was *always* closely related to the development of
> Pd-vanilla, adding some patches on top of it.
> hans was eager to bring back improvements to the vanilla development,
> but with some things it was obvious that miller won't accept them.

Hmmm, ok, this is important for me to clarify. I'm now searching more
throughly the list records, cause I first had searched it and found
mentionings of an "extended distro", for reference, see:
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-02/009772.html . This
referred to a "pd 0.36 extended (CVS)" is the first "extended of some sort"
version I saw being announced on the Pd list (from 2002, by  Adam Lindsay)
=> https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2002-12/008950.html

Since this referred to a mac version, I can only assume it wasn't the first
one :) I guess Pd was more easily accessible to Linux users that knew their
way around, and that the "extended" project was a "CVS version" with extra
stuff that you could build yourself. Another email talks about building it
for windows that says "*to my great suprise, the pd-0.36-extended2 package
off sourceforge compiles under windows with a minimum of effort*" =>
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-03/010635.html . Please
enlighten me on the birth of extended, I'd love to hear how it started, and
also why it was referred to as "the CVS version".

The puredata.info site only has pd extended 0.38 as the "first" version,
but I'm assuming this was when the project was in a more advanced and
consolidated phase see =>
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-05/028529.html . For the
record, I'm assuming 0.36 was the first version, *am I correct?*

I found a thread about extended 0.37 (see:
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-05/011593.html) and let
me quote it:

"Now that the majority of the usability enhancements have gone
"mainstream," (yay! thanks, Miller!) I see little reason to make Mac
users use a forked version."

So yeah, I can now see that from its very inception, Extended started off
as a 'fork' of some sort, but not aimed at a distinct evolutionary line,
and more as a parallel development branch,  aimed to facilitate the
distribution of Pd and its main externals, and also serving as a testbed
(as previously mentioned). So, ok, no, it wasn't just "Pd distributed with
externals".

But some things are still unclear to me, like how things worked for Linux,
for instance, when talking about "extended" Hans mentions "*0.37-test7 is
in Debian already, along with a lot of externals from the CVS.  The
packages are called puredata, pd-externals, pd-cyclone, pd-osc, pd-zexy.*"
reference: https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-10/014125.html
- so, how would you install extended on Linux then?

thanks