[PD] Pd in cross-platform frameworks

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 21:04:01 CEST 2021

One of my goals for libpd is to implement a GUI communication abstraction layer, similar too and possibly building upon the work done for Purr Data's GUI. The end result would you could implement platform or framework-specific drawing but the main logic stays in "Pd land" so you don't have to recreate the widgets themselves as we've done in PdDroiudParty/PdParty. You'd only need to handle "draw rectangle here" etc. This would be similar to how libpd already gives you message and MIDI handling.

When I can get to doing this for real is another question, largely depending on resources and time.

> On Oct 9, 2021, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 08:55:47 -0700
> From: Daniel Iglesia <daniel.iglesia at gmail.com <mailto:daniel.iglesia at gmail.com>>
> To: "hans w. koch" <hansw.koch at gmail.com <mailto:hansw.koch at gmail.com>>
> Cc: Pd-list <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd in cross-platform frameworks
>
> I use Flutter for my day job, which I highly prefer to native iOS and
> Android development.
>
> (If I ever have the time and energy, I am considering rewriting MobMuPlat
> in Flutter, which would unite 4 separate implementations (iOS, Android,
> Java Swing for desktop, MacOs) into a single implementation.)
>
> While a Flutter GUI (and other layers of the app, e.g. data layer,
> controllers, etc) is cross-platform, you will still need to have a 'native'
> layer for iOS and Android in order to handle libpd integration and its
> interaction with per-platform audio APIs. But that would operate the same
> as existing iOS and Android native apps which use libpd; you would merely
> add a 'plugin' wrapper (i.e. a Dart library which translates app logic into
> calls to the native layer).

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>