[PD] Better zoom/scaling in Vanilla?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:09:15 CEST 2021

Em qua., 27 de out. de 2021 às 11:30, Lorenzo Sutton <
lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Every now and then this reappears on the list... but here goes:
>
> will there be a better "zoom" in Pd? Currently working on a higher
> resolution screen (call it HiDPI or whatever...)

How exactly 'high' are we talking about?

> implies either the 2x
> zoom which is typically too much

Using the max resolution on a mac it doesn't seem too much to me...

> or changing font size which typically
> breaks existing patches, and does not increase (proportionally) the
> relative size of IEM guis such as toggles, bangs, etc.

Well, if you start your own patch, that shouldn' be a problem of course.
This is more of a problem if you're checking other people's patches. And we
can have a feature that adjusts the initial default size of iemguis
depending on the current canvas' font, that's easy.

> Purr Data and Pd-L2Ork do it nicely, but it seems a bit overkill to pull
> in all imaginable Pd libraries/externals

it's a lot of externals, but not "all imaginable" ones at all... :) I see
it might be just a comical exaggeration though. I for one, last time I
checked, missed deken and the fact it can't run as much externals as Pd
can, amongst other things.

just to have some nice visuals
> (although being a visual dataflow language, visual clarity _is_ indeed
> relevant), plus you are forced to curvy chords (which although popular
> with the most) IMHO break the original Pd aesthetics :-)

you can request them to offer uncurved connections via some setting... I
also hate those curves, it should be illegal.